Bee Better Certified
Pollinator-focused farm certification program
What is Bee Better Certified?
Bee Better Certified™ is the only third-party certification program to certify pollinator health and biodiversity conservation on farms. The certification program recognizes farms and food businesses that adopt pollinator-friendly agricultural practices. Certification to this standard ensures growers dedicate a part of their farm to pollinator habitat and incorporate Integrated Pest Management practices. Obtaining the certification enables farmers to show consumers that they are farming in ways that protect bees and other pollinators.
The Bee Better Certification program was created by the Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation with support from USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service. The program focus on native habitat is unique among farm certification programs and is compatible with all farming operations.
Farmers can meet Walmart’s new purchasing requirements for fresh produce suppliers with Bee Better certification. Walmart announced last year that by 2025, 100% of the floral and fresh produce sold in its stores will be sourced from suppliers that have third-party certifications such as Bee Better Certified.
Why Choose SCS?
With nearly 40 years of expertise in sustainability, environmental and safety certifications, SCS has helped many farms and food companies demonstrate their sustainability efforts that contribute to environmental and social goals. Bundle your Bee Better certification with Sustainably Grown, EFI, SAI-FSA, USDA Organic, GLOBALG.A.P. and others for greater efficiency and cost-savings. In choosing SCS, you can look forward to:
- Exceptional customer service
- Highly credentialed professional auditors
- Discount on bundled services
- Determine Eligibility and Submit Application
- Authorize a Proposal
- SCS prepares a proposal for your approval with suggested scope of work, timeline and quote. If the proposal meets your needs, you sign a Work Order. We then contact you to schedule an audit.
- Complete On-site Audit
- SCS conducts an annual on-site audit. The audit includes physical inspection of the site, review of records, interview with personnel, and an exit interview. We prepare a Report of Findings after the audit is completed.
- Certification Decision
- SCS will review the inspection report, issue a certification decision, and inform the client of the outcome. Once granted certification, clients are eligible to license the use of the Bee Better Certified seal.
Who can get Bee Better certification?
Certification is open to any open field farms in North America that are able to establish both permanent year-round and temporary/annual habitat for pollinators.
Do Bee Better certified products and ingredients need to be certified Organic?
Farms do not have to be certified to the USDA Organic Program to achieve Bee Better Certification.
How does Bee Better certification work with other certification programs?
Bee Better Certified was designed to complement existing certification programs. For example, Bee Better Certified habitat requirements can help organic farmers meet the 2016 National Organic Program biodiversity guidance.
How long does a Bee Better Certified audit take?
Audit length will depend significantly on the size of the farm and complexity of the operation, however the average on-site inspection can be completed in one day.
- ·Communicate your pollinator stewardship by obtaining the Bee Better Certification Seal
- Meet the growing industry requirements for sustainable crop production
- Demonstrate support for native habitat by employing good agricultural practices that increase produce quality and operational efficiency
- Improved recognition as a brand that benefits the surrounding ecosystem of the farm – providing auxiliary benefits to the community through pollinator-friendly agricultural practices
Ready to get started or need more info? Connect with us.